Sandia Soaring Association

Club Forum
It is currently June 22nd, 2018, 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rat's nest getting some
PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 10:10 pm 
SSA Officer

Good day today for hike & fly in the Sandias. Flew to Moriarty (actually a bit past) from Rat's. Open distance 29.02 mi. Top altitude 16 600 ft. Thanks SO MUCH to Max Montgomery for a quick retrieve!

That must be close to a site record (excluding launching from the Crest/Peak). Anyone knows better?

As always, I'm stoked to get people up there if they want to suck the hike up! Hit me up. Cheers!
Pat

Last edited by PatrickHarveyCollard on July 22nd, 2016, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rat's nest getting some
PostPosted: July 14th, 2016, 9:34 pm 
SSA Officer

Good day at Rats Nest today. Wind was too strong for the North Peak. Me and Max flew Kendrick off and had good flights. I soared for 1:15 in a north west glass off in the unlikely bowl. Got real smooth for the last 40 minutes. Just hike and fly!

PostPosted: July 15th, 2016, 12:23 pm 

Let a buddy know! I'm open for tonight if it is good again.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2016, 1:01 am 
SSA Officer

Today Rats gave some more. Max and Todd tagged along this time. We were unsure about the OD, but by the time we started hiking it was cleared. Typical ABQ, you know... . Once on launch, it was light. Really light. After 10 minutes of waiting for a good cycle I set-up for a forward launch and punch-in a dynamic reverse when a little breeze comes in. Not breezy enough to get the leading edge inflated, but something. There was no way. The day was over. At least we were flying down. Hey! But instead I flew right into a thermal and started working my way up. Light stuff, 200 ft/min-ish. Sometimes it would peak at 400. Kind'a broken, lots of work to stay in it. I track them back, until hit a gap between the top of embudo and South Peak. Real light stuff, 100 ft/min. But I can track back more, up over South Peak. Bingo. 12k, 13k, 14k. Dropped out at 14.7k, it was getting really hard to follow the thermal, and I was way behind the ridge. Sandia Crest it is. Well, at least try. Gees, big head wind. Get on speed bar. 1/2 bar. Good. Not making it to the Crest, but penetrating. Full bar? Hit a thermal, big asymmetric collapse, start a spin, pump it out, back in heading. Guess I'm only doing 1/2 bar. At 11.5k I'm in front of the mountains, right in between North and South peaks. Hit 400 ft/min, start climbing again. Circle, circle, circle, 13.8k. Definitely going to the Peak. Yup, made it. Crest now. Done. What about a little glass off now that I'm hooked-up to the big mountains? Yup. Perfect smooth air. Soar for 20 min. Sun getting low (nice sunset!). It's 8:00 pm. Time to head over. Gees, I'm high, and the air is soooooo boaty. Can I make it back to Menaul? Let's head over there, but keep the Big Sky LZ option. Dude, doing real good glide despite the head wind. Push. Dude, that could happen. Big Sky getting behind. Easy way? Or hard way? I choose uncertain. Go for Menaul. 10:1. 20:1. Doing good. Oups, 4:1. Not too good. Shit. I get on 1/2 bar, which gets the glide ratio up by 0.5. Ok. Better. Hang on. Approaching, this is possible. Get closer to the mountains, the valley is crossed and the glass might still provide some buoyancy on the hills. No. Not really. Doesn't matter, I'm a rocket. Flying 1/2 bar, leaning back to be the most aerodynamic I can. I'm a rocket! And I'm making it! I get over the Menaul LZ with 300 ft to spare. Nice! Few spirals, land. Great. Triangle: Rats, South, Crest, and back to the car. Not bad for a day that "was over".

(Just another hike & fly story if you guys like it)

PostPosted: August 15th, 2016, 9:31 pm 
SSA Officer

After weeks of being shut down by the overdevelopment, we finally got some epicness going today! Me and Max took off from Rats and made our way over South Peak. I got to 13.2k, Max got 11.6k-ish. Wind was NW at 5-7 mph, and pretty much died down as the evening went. We landed at sunset in super smooth air. Got 1 h 37 min (the sun is setting earlier now!). No major glass off but still kinda buoyant. It's on!

PostPosted: October 1st, 2016, 10:28 pm 
SSA Officer

Good forecast, good sounding, what can you ask more? I flew off the foothills this morning with big expectations and bombed out after scratching my a** for 15 min. But I'm not an easily discouraged guy. So I ate lunch and hiked back up.

Gees those clouds looked so good!

This time I scratched for 30 min before finally getting a real climb. Sparing the details, I thermalled to 12k and made it over the back of the Sandias (that was the plan instead of bombing out). Soon after I left the mountains my efforts were rewarded with climbs to cloudbase and 65 km/h downwind glides, all is super smooth air. Climb, glide, climb, glide, etc. Over Moriarty I got my best cloud and reached 13.3k. Final glide took me halfway between Moriarty and Clines Corner, for a 56.7 km straight-line distance. That was fun.

Tomorrow looks a bit strong for pg.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2016, 5:31 pm 
SSA Officer

Today the winds aloft were less than forecasted yesterday (but still strong), so I decided it was a flying day. Launched from the foothills. After a low save, I found a glorious climb that took me straight from 200 ft AGL to cloudbase (13.5 k ft). Steady 900 fpm magic with a nice smooth straight core, the kind of thermal you'd date. After playing real close to the cloud (it was quite big!) with lots of self-appreciation and epic views of the coloured Sandias I went over the back where I got some serious continuous down in a blue hole. So much for the timing... oh well. After another low save, I got back to 10k. Then serious sink again. Didn't make it to the next cloud street, and landed in a nice field near Edgewood. 24 km. Good stuff.

I'm up 4h15min of airtime and 80 xc km in 3 days (flew Friday too to South Peak). That turned out a pretty good weekend!!!

How about the hangs? Did you guys get some?
Cheers

PS: I post all that stuff to get you guys all pumped to go fly. I like company! Share your stories.